Did you recently spill a liquid on your carpet? Are you noticing any moisture in its fibers? Then you should dry your carpet properly before it gets contaminated by molds and microorganisms.
Wet carpets are prone to get damaged much sooner when compared to the dry carpets. We recommend calling the carpet cleaning professionals who would help you in drying your carpets. If you favor simple DIY flooded carpet drying methods, then here are some that you should follow:
Flooded Carpet Drying Methods
- Start with the assessment of water damage to the carpets.
- Remove all the furniture placed on it.
- Run a wet-dry vacuum over the carpets in straight lines so as to remove excess water.
- Pick the corner and see if the carpet is still wet or not, if it is, then open all the windows and let it dry naturally.
- If it is humid outside, then keep the windows closed and run a dehumidifier through the carpet to make it dry.
- Also, make sure that the sub-floor is also completely dry because if you place your carpets on wet floors, then it may give rise to secondary problems.
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet and let it sit for some time, almost 24 hours so that it absorbs all the excess water from it.
- Then, vacuum the baking soda and run a fan or a heater over it so that it gets dried completely.
- Take towels and spread them all over the wet carpet.
- Again sprinkle baking soda all over the wet carpet.
- Spray some white vinegar on the carpet, it resists mold growth. Then scrub with a brush and then blow dry the carpets.
- Then, spray the carpets with an anti-fungal spray specially formulated for carpets.
- Dry it under a fan or vacuum it thoroughly.
- For basement carpets that are excessively wet, rent the appliances as they extract out 12,000 times more water than the home appliances.
- Next, peel the carpeting and remove the wet pad and cut it into strips, haul it outside in the sun.
- If it is in a good condition, then you can re-install it back but if not, then purchase a new one to get it installed.
- Make sure that the basement temperature is 75 degrees F because it will aid in much faster drying of the carpet if left out.
- Diatomaceous Earth can also be used for drying carpets.
- Start by removing excess moisture from the carpets with the help of Wet-Vac, then sprinkle some diatomaceous earth on the carpet and move it evenly with the help of a broom.
- After some time, sweep it. If you observe any stains on the carpets then treat it accordingly.
- The method is suitable for vomit, cat fur-balls, animal accidents etc.
- You can also use the HVAC in your to make your carpets dry.
- Warm air holds more moisture than cooler air. So, try closing all the doors and the windows and run an AC.
- On cooling, turn off the AC and turn on the heating system. This makes drying of carpets very easy.
No matter how wet your carpets are, make sure that you dry them properly in order to protect your carpets from any damage. Need help? We are the leading carpet cleaning professionals and can help you out.