Upholstery cleaning should be an integral part of regular cleaning and maintenance. Regular traffic causes accumulation of dirt and debris and provides a suitable environment for microorganisms to flourish and reproduce. These, later on, cause allergies and other respiratory tract diseases.
But, this need not happen to you. It is highly recommended to clean your upholstery every month. Here are a few DIY upholstery cleaning methods to help you out:
- Perform some of the pre-cleaning steps such as moving the furniture away from the walls and dusting the area against the area where the furniture rests. Inspect the area for any scratches. If any repair them or get them repaired by
- Vacuum the area where you have placed cushions on the upholstery. Polish the wooden parts and wipe the metal parts, if any, on the upholstery.
- Check whether all the parts of the upholstery are working. If not, then call a fixing expert so that he may get it repaired.
- Before starting the cleaning process, make sure that the cleaning solution responds well to the fabric. You can perform a small patch test so that the solution may not damage the fabric of the upholstery.
- If there are manufacturer’s instructions with it, then go through it thoroughly and perform your cleaning accordingly. You can find the instructions in the form of codes that are attached to the upholstery at the back side.
- Also, check the amount of water that you are going to use on it because excess water can cause shrinkage and discoloration of the fabric of upholstery, it will also cause drying problems.
- Next, takemild upholstery cleaner. If you feel that it is a bit strong, you can dilute it with water. Fill the cleaner in a spray bottle and spray it directly on the stains. For stubborn stains, use concentrated cleaners. Avoid rubbing the cleaner on the upholstery; gently pat it in circular motions on the stains.
- Allow it to stand on the fabric for some time so that the stains absorb the cleaner well and come out easily.
- Next, with a damp cloth, wipe the cleaner from the spot. Repeat the process till the whole cleaner comes out. Place the blotting towels on the stains and extract out maximum water from the upholstery.
- Next is the drying step. Perfect drying is necessary as thepresence of water may cause mold growth within the fabric of the upholstery. Try to dry the upholstery within 24 hours of cleaning. For drying, you can take the help of dryers and move it across the cleaned areas for a while.
- You can also put it beneath the ceiling fans if you have cleaned a larger area. Open the curtains and allow the sunlight to come in so that the upholstery dries in presence of natural light too. Natural light helps in eliminating the residual microorganisms from the upholstery.
- Remember not to expose the upholstery to direct sunlight as it may spoil the fabric of the upholstery.
Thus, with little effort and above mentioned simple guide, you can easily fight the dirt and other greasy substances from your upholstery.